Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Emulating Good Leaders is Wise

I think I've given a decent summary of what good leadership looks like. I'm sure that there are other qualities one can think of that factor into good leadership. I haven't attempted to come up with the single definitive list on the subkject, but to merely offer an introductory look at the subject. It would be a joy to go deeper into this subject (read: a book of essays on good leadership), but who knows if that will ever happen.

I'm not going to write any more on characteristics of good leadership. I want to move on to other things, and to try to spark thought on other subjects relevant to life. However, before I do, I want to present a few profiles of men who I think lead honorably. We are told in the Bible to imitate those who are honorable men. Before I present some profiles over the next few days, I want to reiterate the importance of the above sentence, with its burden on imitation. This is a countercultural statement today. Our age prizes autonomy and independence. Virtue is found not in emulation, particularly emulation of authority figures, but in emancipation from authority figures. In past ages, young men and women were taught to identify specific men and women who they could model themselves after. The parents were the first and primary people to fill this role, and then others of the Christian community were identified as worthy of emulation. Today, however, when the parents retreat from responsibility and the leaders recede from the public eye, imitation has fallen on hard times.

I'm going to present a few men I've found worthy of emulation. In doing so, know that I'm making a statement about imitation. Young people should imitate authority figures of noble character. Think I'm off? Do consider the testimony of Scripture. Paul, the author to the Hebrews, and John all make the case that Christians should imitate those wiser and better than them.

1 Corinthians 4:16Therefore I urge you to imitate me.

Hebrews 6:12We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

Hebrews 13:7Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.

3 John 1:11Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God.

Think about it. And let me know about the book idea. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Young people should imitate authority figures of noble character" ... any examples? You speak your mind but in this posting you seem to only go so far. I suppose it's "just" a blog and I should expect half-baked ideas. Please share.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home