Friday, March 14, 2008

The Week-est Link, March 14, 2008: 9 Crimes, and the Sound of Falling Slowly

1. Earlier this week, I wrote about the movie Once. Here's the movie's key song, "Falling Slowly". Tell me it's not a great song. It's especially exhilarating to see the song performed in the movie. It's all make-believe, of course, but in the movie, the key actors compose it together in a music store. It's funny, and it's quite believable, and the song is beautiful. I like the quieter part, the man's low voice, and the piano. Give it a listen and tell me what you think of it.

2. I've been excited to give you this link to the Damien Rice song "9 Crimes". I don't exactly understand the video or the song, but I do know that I am haunted by it, and find it powerful. It mirrors "Falling Slowly" in that it uses undoctored harmony between male and female voices to create evocative music.

3. Interesting Al Mohler article on the effect of television sets in children's bedrooms. Shocking conclusion made by no less than the NY Times: they're harmful to kids. Common sense has its day, for about the millionth time. (HT: Justin Taylor)

4. What place does biblical counseling have in the local church? Here's a helpful conversation between the aforementioned Dr. Mohler and pastor Lance Quinn of Little Rock, AR.

5. Great video provided by Vitamin Z on a conversational pause so awkward it's almost historic. Absolutely hilarious. One of the funniest 30-second doses of humor I've heard in a very long time. Those of you who like the excruciating, hilarious awkwardness of "The Office", you'll love this one.

Have a great weekend, all.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home