Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Back at it: Some Good Music

WHEW. I'm out of the cave, friends. Before I restart the cultural engagement effort, let me just say thanks for sticking with me. Here are the totals from the last three weeks:

Read: over 1000 pages
Typed: over 80 pages
Took: four finals
Had: minimal exercise, bloodshot eyes, and alot of boiled custard (it's incredible, like drinking vanilla ice cream)

The Lord was in it. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers in a busy time.

And now, I want to do a brief series on some artists I think are worth checking out. You may never have heard of them, but trust me when I say that they are definitely worth checking out. First up today is Andrew Peterson. Andrew Peterson is a singer/songwriter hailing from the Caedmon's Call camp. For those who have no idea what Caedmon's Call is, it's a really, really good Christian folk/pop group that blends rich theology, poetry, and stirring, memorable harmonies to create really good music. Andrew Peterson was in Caedmon's but left to pursue a solo career. He was one of the group's best songwriters (they had a number) and has crafted a number of gems in the albums he's released since his time with Caedmon's. On his latest cd, "The Far Country," Peterson explores the theme of heaven, a topic that Christians often think about but generally on a fairly shallow level. The key to the album is the rich lyrical depth. Peterson has an interesting voice, not unpleasant, but not beautiful. It does not distract, but rather clears the way for one to enjoy his clever and deep lyrics.

Peterson is part of a wave of young writers in Christian music who do not allow simple cliches to suffice for lyrical output. Instead, he weaves metaphors and paints pictures of life scenes to tell his story. He less often preaches a point and more often sketches it out through poignant details. He represents the direction I wish Christian music would go. Because he asks hard questions and refuses to give pat answers, I would encourage people to support him and others like him--Derek Webb, Caedmon's Call, Fernando Ortega. The market will respond to us as we support quality and eschew insufficiency. Doubt me on that? Look at a little movie trilogy called Lord of the Rings.

Check out Andrew Peterson here and order his music. He's well worth supporting.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Glad to hear the Lord was with you.

Also, while I probably won't rush out and buy more music, I appreciate hearing of more depth in Christian music. I confess I have stopped listening to the 'Christian station' on a regular basis because their music is so full of shallowness, if not outright poverty.

My wife was at a church music program, and discovered that that church was having a controversy regarding some song(s) the church singing group was singing. Some thought the theology was so pour they should not sing a particular song, but the leader of the group said they were going to sing it anyway because it was part of their tradition and people liked it. (A very loose paraphrase of a second hand quote.)

May God set His Church upon solid ground.

Al

4:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back too! Will you finish your parenting series?
God was certainly with you as you finished so much work. Continuing with you in prayer. mu

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! :-) This series looks good, but I have to be honest, I was really looking forward to the rest of the family series...will you be finishing that? Hope so! Praying for you...
Chelle

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home