Monday, April 10, 2006

Unapologetic Manhood: Guy Movies

One of the best marks of being a man is liking movies tailored to my gender. What a beautiful thing it is that there are movies out there that celebrate heroism, courage, and justice. I've recently become more acquainted with the cinematic genre known as "chick-flicks," which has only reinforced my standing love for guy movies. Now, that's not to say I don't think there are some good aspects of the chick-flick (like...ummm...the credits?). Seriously, if I thought hard, I could come up with something (sensitivity, sweetness, romance, etc). But while I can physically watch a chick-flick and in some distant, abstract way appreciate it, I can certainly go for a guy movie like Troy, Braveheart, Gladiator, Star Wars III, Master & Commander, and many others. These movies speak to my soul--and besides that, once you watch them, you can quote them to your guy friends.

I am unapologetic about my love for guy movies. There is something in the soul of a man that wants to lead the charge, slay the evil foe, and win the beautiful girl. We men of modernity are all very accustomed to our desks and computer screens, but don't get us wrong: we wouldn't mind a swordfight for the right cause and our fair maiden's heart. We may look okay in our tie and nice pants, but we all pine a bit for armor, a big ole shield, and a sword that would be better suited for cutting boulders than spears. We're made, after all, to be protectors. As modern men, this part is often suppressed. Our outlet? Cool movies. For this, we're unapologetic. Of course, we'll watch a chick-flick or two. But girls, if you look over and see us looking in the distance--you know where we are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home