Monday, May 01, 2006

Beauty Happens: I am Engaged

Please forgive my lack of posting this last month. It has been a crazy month. This past Friday, I asked the most amazing girl in the world, Bethany Ware, to marry me. Now, I've tried to keep my blog away from the terrain in which so many blogs dwell, being the realm of the private. For this occasion, however, I've got to share this with you. I am overwhelmingly, madly, stunningly, in love with this girl, and I can't help but share it.

Five long years of praying for a wife have ended. Five years filled with lonely nights in which I walked the streets of Brunswick, ME, Washington, DC, and Louisville, KY. Five years of wondering whether I would ever fall in love. They are over now, and they were incredibly good for me, but they are over. I bid them a joyful farewell. Love, not loneliness, now has its day. What kindness is this that has come to such a wretch as I? What happiness? What mystery?

I proposed to Bethany this past Friday night on the beach of Lake Michigan in Chicago, IL. It was a magical setting and a complete surprise to her. Other than page three of my love poem flying away in the middle of the proposal, everything went swimmingly. I chased it down, ran back, and continued. Phew. Thankfully, my lack of a firm grip did not hinder her from saying a breathy "yes" to my request for her hand in marriage. With that, a life together was begun.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooohooo!

KC

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Owen. That's great news. Calabrese

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so happy --mu

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owen: Your five years of earnest prayers aligned with Mrs. Ware's and my 22+ years of hopeful prayers and longings. The result: God has certainly wrought a wondrous and beautiful work! With depth and joy we have loved, now do love, and always will love this incredibly special daughter of ours. And now we love you with her. We are deeply grateful for you, Owen. May you and Bethany enjoy always the rich favor of God as you both walk faithfully before him and before eachother.

Rejoicing with you,

Your future father-in-law, Mr. Ware

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owen, this is wonderful. Congratulations!
-Claire

8:37 AM  
Blogger Bolo said...

'Atta boy. I'm happy for you, bud, and praise the LORD for such a blessing!

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations brother!!! May verses like Isaiah 62:3-5 be ever vivid in your heart these days. Just one question: how could you come to Chicago and not contact me?! :)

Hope you are well. In Christ,
keith fisher
(a friend in the Deerfield area)

7:16 AM  
Blogger Elnwood said...

Congratulations from the shores of San Diego!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warm congratulations to you Owen! The setting you described sounded rather similar to the time I proposed to my wife over here in Finland. I must admit that the paper flying out of the hands bit was a nice touch but hey, it can happen to anybody, right? ;-)

God's richest blessings to you both as you prepare for your lives together! The engagement is only a step, but the commitment to the decision of being faithful to each other is one for a lifetime. I wish you both deep conviction to being committed to each other in this world that is so loudly proclaiming "self" as primary. May you both be an exception as you shine God's love throughout your lives.

Warmest greetings from Rauma, Finland!

Chris

5:43 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Congratulations, man! I'm very excited for you. God bless. BAT

3:42 PM  
Blogger logankstewart said...

Owen, that's awesome! Congrats, dude.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said...

YAAAAAY for you and Bethany!

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home