Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Best Things in the World

It's time for a new series. I hope that this is one is uplifting. There's not enough uplifting stuff in the world, and the world is filled with goodness. We should celebrate the good things more and breed a thankful heart in ourselves. These are in no particular order. Feel free to add your own in the comments section. (I do read all comments and I love getting them.)

Nursing a good book on a sunny afternoon Are you kidding? Our attention-deprived generation has no idea what it's missing in avoiding books. Reading is awesome. Okay, we've all been plenty bored by certain books. That's a given. But when you find a book that you love, few things surpass the joy of reading it slowly and carefully. We're not talking about skim-reading or even normal-speed reading. I'm talking about slow, methodical, leisurely reading that includes the re-reading of good passages and so forth. This is one of my favorite things to do, and I highly recommend it to those who have very busy lives. One of the best things you can do to enjoy life is to pick up a good book and read it slowly. Life slows down, colors emerge from black and white, and you begin to appreciate the nuances and broad themes of your world. So, once you finish reading this, go outside and read a great book. The sun's out, the book's great, and the book's waiting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about nursing a friend's blog?

9:58 AM  
Blogger logankstewart said...

I more than agree with ya there, Owen. Not only did I run into you at Borders recently, but I think we enjoy reading some of the same things sometimes. I happen to like reading from atop a tree, actually...

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home