Friday, April 20, 2007

"The Most Beautiful Notes Ever Played in Music"

That's the claim my former pastor, Mark Dever, made to me regarding Beethoven's Fifth Piano Concerto, "The Emperor." After listening to this song, I can say that it is indeed a stunning piece of music. Some music is so beautiful as to evoke tears from one's eyes. I'm not going to say whether tears were in my eyes when listening to the song. I'll leave you to guess--and to put some tears in your own eyes by buying this album. While you can, while there is still time in the day, buy this music, and expose yourself to a timeless work of incredible elegance. It is pieces like this that cause us to marvel at the mysterious and miraculous character of the music of this world God created. Sometimes, we find works so beautiful, we swear that they cannot be this-worldly; they must have come down to us from another realm. Perhaps it is so.

While you're at it, get Allison Krauss's latest album. Krauss sings sad and beautiful music unlike most anyone else out there. Her material is gentle, lilting, but altogether stirring. I cannot get enough of her latest project, Hundred Miles or More. You won't either. I may actually have already recommended this, but if I have, I don't care. This is such good music, it bears recommending twice. I might add that my wife first directed to this album, which for a time was playing all the way through for free at cmt.com. That was the first time I had ever been to cmt.com. Bethany's quite a web user, and in fact, someday soon you may just see a consumed recommendation to read a new blog published by a certain beautiful intellectual.

I think that's all for now. It's been an eventful week here in America, hasn't it? I think we as a nation feel tired. May the weekend bring rest and peace. Let's pray that many will find true peace by visiting our local churches and hearing and responding to the gospel of grace.

Until Monday, be blessed.