Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Memories

I try to keep this blog more on the impersonal side, but there are certain times when you need to be personal and reflect on your background, even as you think toward the future.

I grew up with idyllic Thanksgivings on the coast of Maine. In grammar school, we didn't merely hear about the cherished first Thanksgivings of the pilgrims. We lived them. The fall foliage was beautiful. The pumpkin chocolate chip cookies at school were delicious. The time with family around a full table was memorable. Thanksgiving was such a special event, and it was primarily special for that last trait, the time with family. My family would travel to the homes of both sets of grandparents, and share food and conversation. We would travel four hours to Portland, Maine, for our first meal with the Strachans and Karams, and then travel an additional three hours to Massachusetts to the Dustin home. These were sweet times.

But times change like the seasons, and now I am in Louisville, KY, far from my parents and grandparents, who I love so dearly. Now, I am with my new family, the Wares, who I love dearly. This year marks the one-year anniversary of the dinner at which I met my wife, Bethany, at the Ware home. One year to the day, we've been married nearly five months. A year has changed everything. I have a new and wonderful family, new traditions, and a lovely woman of God to share the day with. These are such happy days. This is such a happy first Thanksgiving together.

God is good. He has given me all this. He has given me the salvific forgiveness of Christ, which has changed my life and eternity. He has given me wonderful parents, who taught me to love God and gave me an incredible childhood. Finally, he has given me the woman of my dreams and prayers. This holiday is about all these good things, but all these things point us first to the God who gives them.

Now, these remarks concluded, I've got a family to join. Mom, Dad, and Rachel, I love you. And to anyone who's reading this, thank you, and have a wonderful holiday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful memories, Owen. I share many of those, except they take place in the bluegrass. however, one memory brings me much sadness, and that is the diminishing lack of reverence of this day. For so many, it is another day of commerce - a day to get ahaead of Black Friday crowds. Many who, in the past, would be spending the day with thier loved ones, thanking God in unison for their blessings, will spend it ringing a sale.

Have we, as Christians, so lost our influence on society , that this day has lost its true intent that Mr. Lincoln intended it for?

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Thanksgiving this year w/out having to worry about the other guys at dinner.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home